A flavorsome rice preparation in deep red to convey your profound feelings of deep affection towards your dear ones.
When considering recipe options for Valentine’s Day which is fast approaching, in my opinion, as far as is possible there should definitely be heart healthy ingredients used. If all the heartfelt dishes you cook for your loved one/s are going to lead them to an unhealthy future, it really defeats the purpose. Doesn’t it?
It really isn’t all that hard narrowing down options since there are plentiful foods which are heart healthy. If you just make a start considering fruits and vegetables, whole grains etc you are very nearly there. So why not convey your love and affection rendered with a deeper thought?
Here is my first offering towards this special day.
rice – 1 & 1/2 cups, when cooked it gives 3 cups. Use brown rice if possible. I have not done so merely because it doesn’t agree with us, causing discomfort.
beetroot – 1 medium sized, grated
tomatoes – 2 finely chopped
olive oil – 2-3 tsp
cumin seeds – 1 tsp
ginger-garlic paste – 1 & 1/2 tsp
green chili – 1 long, slit
turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
spicy red chili powder – 1/4 tsp
mild Kashmiri red chili powder – 1/4 tsp
garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
fresh coriander chopped – 1 small bunch
kasoori methi – 1 tsp (dry fenugreek leaves)
cashew nuts – 8 – 10
ghee – 1 tsp for roasting cashews (for vegan version use oil)
salt to taste
lemon juice – from 1/2 a lemon
- rice - 1 & ½ cups, when cooked it gives 3 cups. Use brown rice if possible. I have not done so merely because it doesn't agree with us, causing discomfort.
- beetroot - 1 medium sized, grated
- tomatoes - 2 finely chopped
- olive oil - 2-3 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- ginger-garlic paste - 1 & ½ tsp
- green chili - 1 long, slit
- turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- spicy red chili powder - ¼ tsp
- mild Kashmiri red chili powder - ¼ tsp
- garam masala powder - ½ tsp
- fresh coriander chopped - 1 small bunch
- kasoori methi - 1 tsp (dry fenugreek leaves)
- cashew nuts - 8 - 10
- ghee - 1 tsp for roasting cashews (for vegan version use oil)
- salt to taste
- lemon juice - from ½ a lemon
- cook rice as per instructions on the pack. for basmati rice, use 1 & ½ times the amount of water to the rice. cook in such a manner as to keep the grains separate.
- in a pan, heat the olive oil, add cumin seeds, when they turn a darker shade or splutter, add the ginger garlic paste and green chili. saute for a minute.
- add chopped tomatoes, saute and cook adding a pinch of salt until mushy and smell of the tomatoes goes away.
- now add grated beetroot, saute and cook for 3 minutes.
- add turmeric powder, red chili powders, garam masala powders, mix well.
- add the cooked rice, salt to taste, crush the dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) between your palms, add it in. mix well gently. cook for a minute.
- turn off the heat, add lemon juice, chopped coriander and mix well again gently.
- in a separate small pan, heat 1 tsp of ghee, roast cashew nuts in this ghee until golden brown, add these to the rice.
- serve with a raita of your choice or enjoy just as is!
Never Miss Another Recipe. SUBSCRIBE