Cabbage Spinach Stir-fry with Walnuts:
I recently came across an article mentioning the benefits of walnuts. Some of you may already be aware that they are rich in omega 3 fatty acids which is good for the heart and the brain. They seem to play a role in delaying onset of/preventing/slowing progression of Alzheimer’s dementia.
It is with sadness, I observe individuals affected by such dementia. If there were to be the slightest chance of OR a way of preventing its occurrence, I would go for it. Wouldn’t you?
Having said that, who would dislike a lovely (that too healthy) crunch in their meal? Walnuts offer one of the healthiest means of obtaining a crunchy delightful dish. They can be used in desserts as well as savory dishes.
Here is a simple, quick recipe cooked in an Indian way to offer exactly that – health and nourishment.
cabbage – 1/4 of a medium sized cabbage shredded
spinach – 3 cups of baby spinach shredded (u can use more)
walnuts – 1/3 cup of roughly chopped pieces
oil – 2 tsp
mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
split yellow peas – 1/2 tsp (chana dal)
dehusked split black gram – 1/2 tsp
dry spicy red chilies – 2 broken into 2
asafoetida – 1 pinch (hing) (avoid asafoetida if on a gluten-free diet)
salt to taste
- cabbage - ¼ of a medium sized cabbage shredded
- spinach - 3 cups of baby spinach shredded or roughly sliced (u can use more)
- walnuts - ⅓ cup of roughly chopped pieces
- oil - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- split yellow peas - ½ tsp (chana dal)
- dehusked split black gram - ½ tsp
- dry spicy red chilies - 2 broken into 2
- asafoetida - 1 pinch (hing) (avoid asafoetida if on a gluten-free diet)
- salt to taste
- in a pan, heat up the oil, splutter mustard seeds
- add yellow split peas, de-husked black gram, red chilies, asafoetida and stir briefly until the dals turn slightly brownish
- now add the shredded cabbage. stir fry at medium to med-high heat. add small amount of salt, cover and cook, stirring on and off until they develop some browning
- now add the roughly sliced baby spinach, stir
- after ½ min add the walnuts, some additional salt to taste. mix well. cover and switch off the heat
- keep it covered for ½ to 1 min and serve cabbage, spinach stir fry with walnuts, as a side dish or as side warm salad