Carrot Thokku ~ low fat spicy carrot relish:
Any thokku indicates a spicy south Indian relish. As soon as one says ‘thokku’, an oily side dish comes to mind. However this is one of the healthy ‘thokku’. Not a drop of oil in sight.
This carrot thokku recipe is one of my favourites. I have grown up eating this and have fond memories…
We have loads of lovely, juicy, reasonably priced carrots available at the supermarket. One look at those in my fridge and I know I am going to make thokku! I had dosa batter at home. Thokku would be a nice alternative to the regular chutneys I make, to go with dosa. It will go brilliantly with rice too.
carrots – 4 shredded giving 3 cups of shredded(or grated) carrot
salt to taste
red chili powder – 1 tsp
Kashmiri red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
oil – 2- 3 tsp
mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
hing or asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
curry leaves – 4-6
for making the spice powder:
please note I will be using just 1/2 tsp from this powder. it is hard anyway to grind a very small quantity. the rest will go into an airtight jar for future use!
methi or fenugreek seeds – 2 tbsp
mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- in a pan, dry roast 2 tbsp of methi (fenugreek) seeds and 1 tbsp mustard seeds until the methi seeds turn more reddish and a nice aroma starts to emanate from it and mustard seeds will start popping. now switch off the heat.
- transfer this to another plate to cool. once cooled, grind this in the spice grinder (small jar) to a fine powder
- in the same pan, heat up the oil moderately
- add mustard seeds and allow them to pop. add hing, curry leaves and saute for 5 seconds.
- now add the grated carrot and saute and cook adding a pinch of salt, covered
- cook the carrots at medium heat, until it softens well. you will notice that it turns a shade lighter to. don’t forget to stir every 30 seconds or so to avoid burning
- add 1/2 tsp of the ground powder, red chili powders, turmeric powder, salt for the entire preparation. mix well
- at this point the mixture would have become slightly dry too. so add some water(4-6 tbsp) to make it smoother and moist. i added 4 tbsp. mix it in
- cover and cook at low heat for 1-2 minutes to allow the carrots to absorb all the flavors
serve with hot rice or with dosa or chapati