Chinese 5 Spice Fried Rice With 5 Spice Ragi Patties
Ever since tofu sprouts 5 spice rice became a hit at home, I have felt at ease with this spice concoction. Chinese 5 Spice powder is a powdered mixture of spices such as cinnamon, cloves, star anise, Sichuan pepper, fennel seeds. Asian flavors it renders any dish is sufficient to endear it to us all really.
I have come to believe, the simplicity of Indo-Chinese food is one to live by. Especially so in our busy lives with multitude of demands, be it from work or family; this cuisine becomes a quick and easy ‘turn-to’, offering quick meals in minimal time.
Ragi and Chinese?! Yes sure and why not?!
Finger Millet or Ragi, a cereal popular in southern states of India especially Karnataka is a gluten-free nutritious grain. Being rich in iron, calcium, fiber, vitamins also with a low carb load, this diabetic and heart friendly grain is widely used in various preparations from porridge to savory breads.
Thereby this simple meal of Chinese 5 Spice Fried Rice With 5 Spice Ragi Patties is nourishing and flavorsome too.
Chinese 5 Spice Fried Rice
cooked long grain rice – 3 cups (Basmati rice or any other long grain rice)
oil – 2 tsp
spring onion – 1 cup sliced
green, red and yellow peppers chopped fine – 1/2 cup each
sweet corn – 1/2 cup (frozen or fresh)
spinach – handful roughly chopped (optional)
Chinese 5 Spice powder – 1 & 1/2 tsp
salt to taste
optional additions – sprouts, baby corn chopped; pan fried tofu
- chop all the peppers, spinach and keep them ready. cook rice in such a way as to keep the grains separate.
- in a wok, heat the oil.
- add sliced spring onion and cook at high temperature until it softens.
- add the 5 spice powder now, mix, cook for few seconds.
- add chopped peppers, sweet corn, saute and cook until they soften slightly.
- add chopped spinach, mix.
- add cooked rice, salt, mix everything well.
- cook for a couple more minutes.
- Chinese 5 Spice Rice is ready to serve.
5 Spice Ragi Patties
ragi flour (finger millet flour) – 1 cup
rice flour – 2-3 tbsp (to provide crispiness and is optional)
onion finely chopped – 1/2 cup (white or red onion)
red cabbage – 1 cup (white cabbage can also be used)
fenugreek leaves – 1 cup (methi)
fresh coriander chopped – a handful
Chinese 5 Spice powder – 1 tsp
green chilies – 3-4 chopped fine
garlic – 2 cloves chopped fine (optional)
water as needed
salt to taste
- first chop all the vegetables fine and keep them ready
- in a bowl add the chopped veggies, fenugreek leaves, fresh coriander, garlic, green chili, ragi flour, rice flour, 5 spice powder, salt and mix well.
- now adding small amounts of water at a time bring all the ingredients together to form a medium dough (not too soft nor too hard)
- make 2 inch diameter patties with portions of the dough.
- shallow fry over a heated skillet or griddle with a drizzle of oil or ghee (clarified butter). cover and cook.
- flip once the surface browns.
- again drizzle few drops of oil and cook covered well enough such that the patties develop a dark hue all over with no whitish areas remaining. this takes a good 3-4 minutes each side. it’s important to cook this well.
- serve hot with chili sauce.
As an alternative, try the ragi patties with 1 cup chopped coriander instead of fenugreek leaves with 1 cup chopped red onion and 1/2 cup of finely chopped cabbage with green chili.
Cook the ragi patties very well to ensure no raw flour remains undercooked.