Dahi Wali Bhindi Recipe | Bhindi Dahi wali :
Care has been taken to reduce the amount of fat ultimately consumed by way of draining the stir cooked okra on an absorbent paper towel, and also the use of low fat yogurt. But, of course regular plain yogurt can also be used. Beaten rice (poha) is used instead of using twice as much coconut in the ground paste. None of these subdue the flavor of the dish, as experienced by us. It still was an enjoyable, bhindi with gravy accompaniment.
Do adjust spicing for this Dahi Wali Bhindi Recipe as per taste.
okra (bhindi) – 2 packs of 175g each, chopped into 1 inch pieces which roughly made upto 3 and 1/2 cups
onion – finely chopped – 1/2 cup
tomato – 1 finely chopped
oil – 2 tsp
for the ground paste:
fresh grated coconut – 2 tbsp
cashew nuts – 2 tbsp
poha (beaten rice) – 2 tbsp
for tempering :
oil – 1 tsp
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
cumin seeds – 1 tsp
urad dal (de husked split black gram) – 1 tsp
dry red chilies (mild Kashmiri variety) – 2 broken into halves
curry leaves – 4-5
low fat yogurt – 1/4 cup
water – 1 and 1/4 cup + 1/2 cup
salt to taste
- okra (bhindi) - 2 packs of 175g each, cleaned okra, chopped into 1 inch pieces which roughly made upto 3 and ½ cups
- onion - finely chopped - ½ cup
- tomato - 1 finely chopped
- oil - 2 tsp
- for the ground paste:
- fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- cashew nuts - 2 tbsp
- poha (beaten rice) - 2 tbsp
- for tempering :
- oil - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- urad dal (de husked split black gram) - 1 tsp
- dry red chilies (mild Kashmiri variety) - 2 broken into halves
- curry leaves - 4-5
- low fat yogurt - ¼ cup
- water - 1 and ¼ cup + ½ cup
- salt to taste
- firstly, wash , drain the okra very well, wipe each okra with a towel to make it dry. then chop, keep it ready.
- in a pan, dry roast the beaten rice (poha) until it browns slightly. keep aside allow it to cool.
- now, grind the fresh grated coconut, cashews, dry roasted poha adding small amount of water to make a smooth paste. keep this aside until needed.
- in the same pan, after wiping with a paper towel, heat 2 tsp of oil, add the chopped okra and stir cook, cover on and off until okra is done. for this, at first cook at higher heat initially until you notice browning/darkening of the edges of okra, then simmer and cook. cover, stir on and off until done.
- transfer this cooked okra onto an absorbent towel. dab with another towel to remove excess oil.
- in the same pan, heat 1 tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, allow them to pop, add cumin seeds, as they pop, add urad dal, red chilies, curry leaves, stir until the dals turn golden brown (do not brown it too much)
- now add chopped onion, stir and cook until they brown slightly. add chopped tomatoes, stir and cook adding a pinch of salt, until the tomatoes turn mushy and are well cooked leaving droplets of oil at the edge. add red chili powder, turmeric powder and mix.
- now add the ground paste. mix it in (adding ¼ to1/2 cup of water if needed) and bring it to a boil.
- meanwhile, mix the ¼ cup of curds (yogurt) with 1 and ¼ cup of water and add this in. mix, bring to a boil.
- now add the cooked okra(bhindi), salt to taste. mix. once it reaches boiling stage, simmer, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- serve dahi wali bhindi with roti or chapati or even rice and enjoy!
full fat yogurt can be used instead of low fat yogurt.
Recipe adapted from Tarla Dalal’s recipe