A rich and indulgent creamy, nutty dessert with an Indian base and a contemporary touch. ‘Kulfis’ have been a much loved traditional Indian equivalent of ice creams since decades. Kulfi, as opposed to ice cream, is denser, less likely to become runny, unlike ice creams. Prominent flavorings used are those of cardamom and saffron.
Childhood memories come afloat with the mere mention of the word ‘kulfi’. The ‘kulfi-walas’ visiting every street in the neighborhood at the peak heat of the mid-afternoon, with his cart full of cooling chilled treats, irresistible with all the delightful flavors and off course the very affordable price tag!
Here is an easy recipe to recreate the same which needs no cooking, using strawberries. After a few creamy mixes, a few hours of growing (im)patience, you are rewarded with a delicious dessert which you can enjoy with your family or entertain your guests with.
- 1 heaped cup of roughly chopped strawberries
- 170 grams of low-fat evaporated milk (1 small tin)
- ½ a can (405 grams can) of light sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup of double cream
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped pistachios
- ½ tablespoon of finely chopped almonds
- 9 cardamom pods, the seeds removed and crushed
- ½ tablespoon of icing sugar (optional, adjust to sweetness needed)(use if strawberries used are less sweet)
- First, blend the roughly chopped strawberries to a puree. Strain this through a fine sieve to remove all the seeds.
- To a large bowl, add evaporated milk and the condensed milk. Whisk these together to blend well.
- Add the double cream, mix well again.
- Finally add the strawberry puree, the crushed cardamom, chopped nuts and combine well.
- Now taste the mixture and add icing sugar if it appears to lack in sweetness. Mix again.
- Freeze this mixture poured into kulfi molds or any suitable (freezer-proof) container for 6 hours or more.
- If using molds, once you pour the mixture in, cover the opening with cling film making a small slit at the center. Insert a wooden kulfi stick and freeze.
- To unmold, hold the molds under warm running water for about 45 seconds, release carefully, serve.
- If otherwise, serve as rectangular slices or scoops.
- Serve garnished with more pistachio nuts and strawberries.