Gluten-Free, Egg-Free Vegetable Frittatas:
I have had this suggestion of a recipe developing in mind for some time now….If you are someone who does his/her weekly shopping over the week-end like me, you would agree that this recipe is best suited for Monday morning breakfast.
All the veggies from the market are fresh and ready to go…just a chop-chop with the oven pre-heating, you are good to go. No standing in front of the hob making dosa after dosa, or pancake after pancake, or even the process of constant careful stirring.
You might want to call this a veggie muffin, gluten-free savory muffin, veggie cupcake, savory cupcake or whatever you fancy! The ease of getting the job done with a filling breakfast ready in no time, is enough to get anyone energized I’m sure!
Some of us are already aware that, frittata is an egg-based Italian dish. This recipe however is egg-free.
Well, having said that, one can have this as mid-morning snack/tea-time snack or even as part of your party menu. Add veggies and herbs of your choice, season the batter well and you are in for a winner here!
carrot – 1 medium sized, grated
zucchini – 1/4 of a medium one , grated (courgette)
spinach, roughly chopped – 1/2 cup
onion – 1 small, chopped fine
fresh coriander – 1 tbsp
fresh dill – 1/2 – 1 tbsp
shredded cheese – 2-3 tbsp (I used low fat mild cheddar) (quantity as per choice)
gram flour – 1 & 1/2 cups (besan)
red chili powder – 1/2 tsp (I used mild variety, you also use paprika)
salt to taste
green chili – 1 finely chopped – optional
- carrot - 1 medium sized, grated
- zucchini - ¼ of a medium one , grated (courgette)
- spinach, roughly chopped - ½ cup
- onion - 1 small, chopped fine
- fresh coriander - 1 tbsp
- fresh dill - ½ - 1 tbsp
- shredded cheese - 2-3 tbsp (I used low fat mild cheddar) (quantity as per choice)
- gram flour - 1 & ½ cups (besan)
- red chili powder - ½ tsp (I used mild variety, you also use paprika)
- salt to taste
- baking powder - ¾ tsp
- green chili - 1 finely chopped - optional
- pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C
- grate your vegetables, cheese, keep it ready
- in a bowl, mix 1 & ½ cups of gram flour and 1 & ½ cups of water. mix well using a whisk
- add red chili powder, salt to taste. again mix well with a whisk and make it lump-free
- if using green chili - chop it very fine and add it to the batter. you can also add chopped fresh coriander to the batter and mix again
- take a muffin tray, grease with cooking-spray or small amount of butter
- into each depression on the tray, add vegetables of your choice
- since I made 2 different kinds of the frittatas, I added about a tsp or 2 of shredded carrot, shredded zucchini, finely chopped onion, chopped coriander into 6 of the pockets/depressions
- into the other 6 I added, grated cheddar, roughly chopped spinach, few fresh dill leaves (as shown in the picture)
- then, add baking powder into the batter, mix well using a whisk
- using a small ladle or pouring jug, pour the batter over the veggies/cheese covering them ¾ the way to the top
- bake in the oven for 20 - 22 min or until the middle becomes firm
- run a knife along the edge to release the muffins/frittatas. they should come out easily
- serve with your favorite chutney/ketchup/peri peri sauce or as is and enjoy!
if it appears under-cooked, place it back in the oven and bake for a couple of minutes more and check again. keep an eye on it though