There are not many who are yet to be familiarized with Guacamole – A Mexican, delicious, spicy, fresh mix with avocado as the base. Just simple ingredients, yet tastes delicious. The best thing about this being, no need for any cooking process.
This can be a God sent for Vegetarians (who do not eat mayonnaise containing egg) as a spread in wraps, sandwiches not to mention as a side dish or a dip . A quick fix – therefore, a handy fix during busy mornings, while deciding on lunch box options.
Also when one is short of time or vegetables, while preparing a meal, guacamole can be the answer as a side.
After our adventure on the rainy, cold, dark evening after school pick-up (you can read it here), guacamole was the one I turned to. A slight variation to the traditionally known recipe, yet turned out to be a delightful match to the peas pulav (in my opinion).
Avocados are turning up in smoothies, brownies too! not just salads.
You might be interested to know certain features of Avocados.
They are rich in fat, but healthy fatty acids mainly ‘oleic acid’ which is the main component of olive oil too and is considered a ‘heart healthy’ fatty acid.
They can help in reduction of cholesterol levels.
The potassium content in avocados is higher than that in banana.
They are loaded with anti-oxidants beneficial in eye health.
If you wish to read about the benefits in more detail, click here.
avocado – 1/2 a large one
tomato – 1 finely chopped
cucumber – a 2 inch piece, chopped fine
lemon juice – 2 tsp
green chili – 1 chopped fine (small)
salt to taste
- avocado - ½ a large one
- tomato - 1 finely chopped
- cucumber - a 2 inch piece, chopped fine
- lemon juice - 2 tsp
- green chili - 1 chopped fine (small)
- salt to taste
- cut the avocado into halves, by running the knife starting at the top, running it all the way to the other end, whilst keeping it deep, again back to the top.
- twist both halves gently to separate the halves. to remove the seed, use a knife stuck into it firmly, pull it out.
- now, scoop out the flesh of the avocado, transfer to a bowl. mash well using a fork.
- add in finely chopped tomato, cucumber, geen chili, lemon juice, salt and mix and mash them all together well.
- serve as dip or a side or use as a spread.
cucumber can be omitted.
lime juice can be used instead of lemon juice.