Kathi Roll With Marinated Paneer and Sprouts Salad :
Kathi Roll is an Indian street food which originated in Kolkata in the eastern part of India. It is basically a roti/paratha(Indian flat bread) with stuffing which can be prepared using a variety of ingredients.
In this recipe, I have used Marinated Paneer and sprouts salad as the filling. The kathi Roll is a kind of on-the-go lunch or even a tea-time snack. This recipe needs a bit of prep but worth it in the end. I came up with this recipe since I wanted to prepare a yummy kathi roll but with healthy elements in it.
Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) – 200 g sliced into long rectangles (for vegan version use tofu)
For the dough:
Whole Wheat Flour – 1/2 cup
Maida (Plain Flour) – 1/2 cup (you can use just whole wheat flour)
Lukewarm water, Oil – 2 tsp, salt
For the marinade:
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Whole Coriander Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Methi (fenugreek) Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Hung Curd – 2 Tbsp (thick part of natural yogurt, water drained), Paneer cut into strips – 5-6 ( Indian Cottage Cheese),
Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp, Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp, Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp, Pinch of hing
Oil – 2tsp, Onion Sliced – 1
To Spread : Spread of your choice such as low fat spread/cheese spread/Mayonnaise (light)/chutney+low fat spread and Ketchup OR just ketchup
Grated Low fat cheddar (optional)
Ingredients for Salad :
Sprouted Beans (I sprouted 2 Tbsp each of Cow Beans and Moth Beans, you can use any sprouts)
Finely chopped cucumber 2 Tbsp
Green chilli 1 small chopped fine
Lemon Rind 1/4-1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1/2 tsp
Olive Oil – 1 tsp, salt to taste.
- Paneer - 200 g (for vegan version use tofu instead)
- For the dough:
- Whole Wheat Flour - ½ cup
- Maida (Plain Flour) - ½ cup (you can use just whole wheat flour)
- Lukewarm water, Oil - 2 tsp, salt
- For the marinade:
- Fennel Seeds - ½ tsp
- Whole Coriander Seeds - ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds - ½ tsp
- Methi (fenugreek) Seeds - ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
- Hung Curd - 2 Tbsp (thick part of natural yogurt, water drained), Paneer cut into strips - 5-6 ( Indian Cottage Cheese),
- Pepper Powder - ¼ tsp, Garam Masala - ½ tsp, Red Chilli Powder - ½ tsp, Pinch of hing
- Oil - 2tsp, Onion Sliced - 1
- To Spread : Spread of your choice such as low fat spread/cheese spread/Mayonnaise (light)/chutney+low fat spread and Ketchup OR just ketchup
- Grated Low fat cheddar (optional)
- Ingredients for Salad :
- Sprouted Beans (I sprouted 2 Tbsp each of Cow Beans and Moth Beans, you can use any sprouts)
- Finely chopped cucumber 2 Tbsp
- Green chilli 1 small chopped fine
- Lemon Rind ¼-1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice - ½ tsp
- Olive Oil - 1 tsp, salt to taste.
- First prepare the dough and marinade since they need to rest.
- Mix whole wheat flour, plain flour, 2 tsp oil, salt to taste and prepare a soft dough (similar to roti/chapati dough; not sticky) using lukewarm water.
- Add water in small amounts at a time. Then rest the dough covered for about 20 min.
- Dry roast fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin, methi and mustard seeds in a pan until you get a nice aroma from the same at the same time, coriander, cumin turn darker shade. Do not burn.
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool. Once it is cool, make a powder by grinding it in the mixer/grinder. Alternatively if you have fennel powder, coriander powder, u can use those instead.
- Marinade -
- Mix this powder into the hung curd in a separate bowl.
- Add pepper powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, hing and some salt. Mix well.
- add the paneer strips and coat them well with the marinade by gently mixing. Keep aside for ½ an hour.
- In the same pan (used for dry roasting spices), add 2 tsp of oil, once heated, add sliced onion.
- Cook the onions until they turn slightly brownish.
- Now add the paneer with the marinade into the pan.
- Cook by gently moving and turning the paneer strips with the marinade in the pan at low to medium heat until it turns a darker shade. It does not take long.
- Take the pan off the heat and leave the contents in it for now.
- To prepare the salad, mix all the ingredients mentioned above. But add oil and salt at the very last minute, otherwise the salad will leave water and become soggy.
- Now that the dough is well rested, knead it briefly.
- Tease out a golf ball sized portion of dough. Make a ball, smoothen it out.
- Flatten it using the rolling pin, using additional flour to dust.
- If you notice the dough becoming sticky, dip in the extra flour and continue to flatten. (not too think or too thick)
- Heat a skillet. Place the flattened dough over it, once you see bubbles over it, flip.
- Again when u see bubbles, apply ½ tsp of oil spread using a spoon.
- Flip, cook by pressing with a flat ladle.
- Do the same for the other side.
- Transfer to a paper towel. Repeat the same for the rest of the dough.
- To prepare Kathi Roll, place 1 roti in a plate.
- Apply spread of your choice all over. Spread some ketchup at the center.
- Place 2 strips of paneer in the middle.
- Spoon some salad over this. Sprinkle cheese (optional).
- Cover the filling, by folding the sides of the roti over it.
- Now on the same heated skillet, cook this roll until it becomes crispy and brown, using few drops of oil for each side.
- Flip and cook until it browns up on the other side.
- Cut Diagonally and Serve!