Mint Rice | Pudina Rice:
Mint Rice (Pudina Rice) is a rice dish prepared using mint leaves, ginger, green chillies with spices. This is my mother’s recipe and a family favourite. Every single time I serve this to any of my guests at a get-together or party, they ask for the recipe!
Basmati Rice – 1 &1/2 cups
Mint (Pudina) leaves – 1/2 a big bunch,
Ginger – 1 inch piece (or ginger paste 1 tsp)
Green Chillies – 2 long ones (or as per taste)
Oil – 1 tbsp + Ghee – 1 tbsp (or you can just use oil for vegan version)
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch length piece
Peppercorns – 10-12
Green Cardamom – 3
Cloves – 4
Cashews roasted in some ghee – 1-2 tbsp
Chopped fresh Coriander – 2 tbsp and to garnish
Salt to taste
- Basmati Rice - 1 &1/2 cups
- Mint (Pudina) leaves - ½ a big bunch,
- Ginger - 1 inch piece (or ginger paste 1 tsp)
- Green Chillies - 2 long ones (or as per taste)
- Oil - 1 tbsp + Ghee - 1 tbsp (or you can just use oil)
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cinnamon Stick - 1 inch length piece
- Peppercorns - 10-12
- Green Cardamom - 3
- Cloves - 4
- Cashews roasted in some ghee - 1-2 tbsp
- Chopped fresh Coriander - 2 tbsp and to garnish
- Salt to taste
- First cook the basmati rice in the microwave (clcik for the method) or any method you prefer. But make sure the grains are separate using less amount of water to cook.
- Wash and drain the mint leaves.
- Now grind these with ginger and green chillies in a mixer/grinder to form a smooth paste, adding small amount of water as needed.
- Heat a deep pan, add oil. Once it is moderately hot, add the cumin seeds and allow them to splutter or change colour to a darker shade. Then add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns and saute for about 30 sec.
- Then add the ground mint paste to this. Reduce the heat when you do this and stay back since it splutters. Then bring up the heat to medium and cook very briefly for few seconds stirring it.
- At the first boil, add the cooked rice, salt to taste, chopped coriander, some roasted cashewnuts and mix thoroughly.
- Finally garnish with roasted cashew and fresh coriander and serve with onion raitha.