Onion Tomato Chutney:
The accompaniment I used with the roasted veggie crisps was the onion tomato recipe I have here. You can serve this with idli/dosa/chapati or even rice as also a dip with baby carrots/carrot sticks/cucumber sticks.
It’s a simple preparation but enjoyable. I have used just 1 mild dry red chili in the recipe given, however you can use 2 of the same if you wish or even 1 spicy red chili if you prefer a very spicy chutney. Mine was mild. The crisps were spicy, hence the milder dip just to add flavor. While the veggies were roasting, there was enough time to get the accompaniment ready .
onion – 1 chopped fine
tomato – 1/2 chopped fine
mild dry red chili – 1 (Kashmiri red chili) (use spicy dry red chili if you want it spicy)
oil – 2 tsp
mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
yeallow split peas – 1/2 tsp
dehusked split black gram – 1/4 tsp
salt to taste
- onion - 1 chopped fine
- tomato - ½ chopped fine
- mild dry red chili - 1 (Kashmiri red chili)(use spicy dry red chili if you want it spicy)
- oil - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- yeallow split peas - ½ tsp
- dehusked split black gram - ¼ tsp
- asafoetida - 1 pinch (hing) (avoid asafoetida if on a gluten-free diet)
- salt to taste
- in a pan, heat up the oil
- splutter mustard seeds, add yellow split peas, dehusked blackgram, asafoetida, dry red chili and stir briefly
- as soon as the lentils begin to turn golden brown, add the chopped onion and saute on med - med-high heat until they develop slight translucency and become slightly brown
- no need to cook the onions fully. add the chopped tomatoes and stir until they breakdown slightly. we are basically trying to roast them slightly
- switch off the heat and allow them to cool
- once cooled blitz in the mixer grinder adding small amounts of water to form a paste
- in the same pan, add this paste and stir at medium heat
- cook until the raw smell from the onion goes away
use more red chili if you prefer it spicy.
if you want it to be more tangy, add tamarind paste while re-cooking it and cook.
chutneys can be prepared in many ways. With slight alterations you can easily end up with different recipes.
One can use this recipe as is or make alterations as per your taste and enjoy!