Potato Raitha using microwave: Potato raitha is a cooling accompaniment to any spicy main dish such as ‘Kootu’.
Potato -2 medium sized, washed and chopped into bite size pieces
Curd or Natural Yogurt – 1 cup (beaten)
salt to taste
Oil – 1-2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Chana Dhall (yellow split peas) – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dhall – 1/2 tsp
Hing (asafoetida)- 1 pinch
Curry leaves – 4-5
Red chilli -1 halved
- In a microwave safe dish, add the chopped potato pieces, a pinch of salt, 2 tbsp of water.
- Set it to the’ potato’ setting for 2 potatoes and cook. ( if such settings are unavailable, cook on high power for around 5 min (set at 2 min at a time, stir, check, cook further if needed).
- Check to make sure the potatoes are well cooked. If needed, cook for further 1/2 min and so on until they are well cooked)
- To the cooked and cooled potatoes, add the beaten curd and salt and mix.
- Prepare the tempering in a separate pan on the hob.
- Add oil, once heated add mustard seeds, once they pop, add chana dhall and urad dhall, curry leaves, hing. once the dhalls turn slightly brown
- add this to the potato mix and stir.