Quick Veggie Pasta | Simple and Easy Veg Pasta:
To cope with post Diwali (cooking) blues, I decided on a quick veggie pasta for myself and the kids. It’s definitely a quick lunch option for any busy day really. Be it in the midst of half-term activities (or the lack of!), the minimalization of pot usage being a definite advantage; this pasta lunch can be satisfying and comforting.
There being a non-tomato-lover in the family aka my elder daughter, I avoided tomatoes totally. A quick chopping of the veggies, a quick cooking of the pasta and kale ( oh did I forget to mention my favourite green veg of the season?!) does the trick. Yes, pasta with kale:) (again!!)
Pasta does not always mean tomato and cheese. I am not using either here.
I hear a big YES from both my kids when I mention pasta. They love it without a doubt.
I can assure you there is nothing to be wary of, for the Indian palate when it comes to Italian dishes. It can be prepared equally tasty and spiced up as per preference.
pasta – 2 & 1/2 cups (I am using penne as well as spinach (green) fusilli – will not go into further classification here)
kale – 2 cups, thick stem removed and chopped
green pepper – 1/2 of a large one julienned
red pepper – 1/2 of a large one, again julienned
Italian mixed dried herbs – 2 tsp
red chili flakes – 2 tsp (or as per taste)
salt to taste
olive oil – 1 tbsp
- pasta - 2 & ½ cups (I am using penne as well as spinach (green) fusilli - will not go into further classification here)
- kale - 2 cups, thick stem removed and chopped
- green pepper - ½ of a large one julienned
- red pepper - ½ of a large one, again julienned
- Italian mixed dried herbs - 2 tsp
- red chili flakes - 2 tsp (or as per taste)
- salt to taste
- olive oil - 1 tbsp
- cook the pasta as per instructions on the pack in boiling water adding some salt to the water. but cook it just a minute or 2 less , since it will be again cooked with the veg. drain immediately. keep aside
- cook kale as per instructions on the pack or for 6-8 minutes in boiling water and drain
- in a pan, heat olive oil, add green and red peppers and stir fry them on medium to med-high heat, stirring and covering them on and off until just slightly soft and browning slightly
- add cooked kale, mixed dry herbs, red chili flakes and mix
- add cooked pasta. mix everything well adding salt to taste. cover, simmer for 1 minute
- serve quick veggie pasta hot