Ragi And Roasted Red Rice Flour Pakora With Tofu| Finger Millet and Roasted Red Rice Flour Fritters With Tofu
This recipe is an entry to Monsoon Snack Challenge for The Hub @ Archana’s Kitchen challenges.
I had prepared ragi pakora/pakoda in the past and was loved by everyone at home. For our oncoming blog-hop, the theme being appetizers, I contemplated on these Ragi And Roasted Red Rice Flour Pakoras With Tofu. If you have been following my activities in the recent past, you might have noticed my Ragi Roasted Red Rice Rava DOSA and also Roasted Red Rice Flour (Crackers) NIPPATTU using the same flour.
I am discovering with great joy, the versatility of this flour. It lends itself to many different recipes while providing many nutrients our body needs – fiber, iron, antioxidants, vitamin B6 as opposed to white rice flour. It’s beneficial in diabetics too since the rise in blood glucose post consumption is slower. Read more about the benefits here and here. Whereas ‘Ragi’ (finger millet) is rich in iron, calcium, and the essential amino acid methionine. Tofu is packed with protein with minimal calories.
I was slightly apprehensive I must admit when I first considered making a crispy crunchy snack with this flour. With the addition of tofu too! Would this be a satisfying appetizer/snack?Would it be crunchy/crispy enough? To my delight, I found out that it does! without a doubt!
I saw pleasantly surprised faces around the table, on biting into these yummy crispy bites.
ragi flour (finger millet flour) – 1 cup
roasted red rice flour – 1/2 cup
green chilies – 3-4 chopped fine
garlic cloves – 2 sliced fine or chopped fine
onions – 2 small or 1 large, thinly sliced
curry leaves – 1 tbsp chopped fine
fresh coriander – 2 tbsp chopped fine
tofu – grated – about 1/3 cup
6 cashew nuts – chopped into small pieces
freshly ground pepper – 1 tsp (optional)
salt to taste
- ragi flour (finger millet flour) - 1 cup
- roasted red rice flour - ½ cup
- green chilies - 3-4 chopped fine
- garlic cloves - 2 sliced fine or chopped fine
- onions - 2 small or 1 large, thinly sliced
- curry leaves - 1 tbsp chopped fine
- fresh coriander - 2 tbsp chopped fine
- tofu - grated - about ⅓ cup
- 6 cashew nuts - chopped into small pieces
- freshly ground pepper - 1 tsp (optional)
- salt to taste
- mix ragi flour, roasted red rice flour, sliced onion, garlic, chopped green chili, cashew nuts, curry leaves, fresh coriander and grated tofu in a bowl adding salt and pepper to taste.
- then adding small amounts of water make a slightly wet dough but NOT runny.
- heat up oil for deep frying in a pan.
- at medium heat drop in small portions of the dough into the oil. turn them over now and again.
- deep fry for 4-5 minutes.
- transfer onto absorbent paper towels.
- serve with chutney or ketchup.
While frying the pakoras, due to the dark colour, the stage to remove them from the fryer might get confusing.. hence first test out one or two pakoras frying and note the time they need. They will need about 4-5 minutes. You will also feel firmer as they cook when you move them around.
A few more appetizers on the blog –
If you like this recipe please share
Do check out recipes from my other awesome blogger friends on the blog hop-