Spinach rice is a single pot dish quick to prepare and tasty too.
We had just returned from our visit to the park, having spent an hour over there on a lovely sunny afternoon. Kids were hungry and I had to cook something quick. My younger one said, mum prepare something with spinach! Well of course there wasn’t enough time for alu palak (potatoes in spinach gravy)or palak paneer (Indian cottage cheese in spinach gravy)AND roti to go with it. So spinach rice it had to be! and why not?!
There are many ways in which you can prepare spinach rice. This is a quick method.
Basmati Rice – 1&1/2 cups
Spinach – 1 cup chopped,
Potato – 1 chopped into small pieces,
Green Pepper – 1/4 chopped,
Onion – 1 chopped fine,
Tomato – 1 small chopped,
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp,
Green chilli – 2 chopped fine,
Kitchen King Masala – 1/2 tsp (or garam masala),
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp,
Fresh coriander and roasted cashew for garnish
OIl – 1 tsbsp
- First cook the basmati rice in microwave or in a rice cooker.
- Also cook the chopped potato and keep it ready. (you can see my recipe of potato raitha for instructions on how to cook potato in microwave quickly without any hassle)
- In a pan, heat the oil, add chopped onion once oil is heated. Add a pinch of salt to aid the cooking process of the onion. Stir and cover and cook on medium to med-high heat until the onions soften.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste, green chilli chopped and cook for a minute.
- Followed by chopped green pepper. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes to soften it .
- Add the chopped tomato and cook briefly.
- Then add the chopped spinach cook for a minute stirring it.
- Add the cooked potato, mix it in.
- Then kitchen king masala, turmeric powder, mix.
- Add in salt as needed for the entire preparation and mix.
- to this add cooked rice, simmer and stir very well . Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes on low heat so that the rice absorbs all the flavours.
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and roasted cashews and serve with a raitha of your choice or just as is.
Slight variation to the above recipe.
I added small cubes of low fat panner(Indian cottage cheese), once spinach was cooked. Followed by the masalas, rice, salt. Mixed everything well. Cooked covered for 2 minutes.
Spinach paneer rice was ready!