Sweet Potato Veg Gravy
Any number of sides for roti/chapati or any flat bread, after a while, can prove to fall short of an inspiring breakfast/lunch/dinner.
Thanks to Lakshmi, my cousin, I was introduced to a versatile way of using potato, the south Indian way.
I had all the vegetables I felt I needed. That was a good start. What resulted was the luscious gravy with just the right amount of spice, a hint of sweetness with all the glorious vegetables providing the texture which will satisfyingly serve all expectations when paired with flat bread.
Try this delicious dish the next time you run into a ‘what to cook?!’ situation.
sweet potato – 1 large
vegetables chopped into small pieces – 3 cups. I used cauliflower, carrot, green beans, peas which together made 3 cups.
split black gram – 4 tsp (urad dal)
dry red chilies – 4 – 6 (milder red chilies, adjust to taste)
fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
whole peppercorns – 2
tamarind – 1 small gooseberry size or 1 tsp tamarind concentrate
freshly grated coconut – 4 tbsp
oil – 2 tsp
mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
asafoetida – 1 good pinch (hing) (avoid if on a gluten-free diet)
curry leaves – 6-8
salt to taste
- sweet potato - 1 large
- vegetables chopped into small pieces - 3 cups. I used cauliflower, carrot, green beans, peas which together made 3 cups.
- split black gram - 4 tsp (urad dal)
- dry red chilies - 4 - 6 (milder red chilies, adjust to taste)
- fenugreek seeds - ¼ tsp
- whole peppercorns - 2
- tamarind - 1 small gooseberry size or 1 tsp tamarind concentrate
- freshly grated coconut - 4 tbsp
- oil - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- asafoetida - 1 good pinch hing
- curry leaves - 6-8
- salt to taste
- first cook the sweet potato with skin. peel off the skin and mash.
- cook/steam the vegetables carrot, beans, cauliflower, peas until just tender.
- dry roast urad dal, dry red chilies, fenugreek seeds and peppercorn until the dals turn brownish. allow this to cool.
- now grind the dry roasted spices with coconut, tamarind to form a smooth paste adding some water as needed.
- now, in a pan, heat up the oil, splutter mustard seeds, add hing, curry leaves.
- to this add cooked mashed sweet potato, mix.
- add cooked vegetables, mix.
- add the ground paste, mix adding 1 cup of water.
- add salt and bring to a boil while stirring on and off.
- serve with chapati/roti/any flat bread
add additional water to the consistency needed.