Thondekai Palya is a simple but juicy, mouthwatering, side dish loved by many! This is a family favourite.
Thondekai – approx 250g (I used frozen Ivy Gourd 1 pack. You can use the fresh ones chopped into lengthwise pieces)
Oil – 1-2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Chana Dhall (Yellow split peas) – 1 tsp
Urad Dhall – 1/2 tsp
Hing – 1 pinch
Curry leaves – 4-5
Red Chilli – 1 half
Red Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- First heat a pan, add oil and heat. Once it is heated, add mustard seeds allow them to pop, add chana dhall, urad dhall, hing, curry leaves, red chilli and saute briefly until the dhalls turn slightly brown.
- Add the Ivy Gourd directly from the pack (no need to thaw). Cook on med-high flame. Do not cover the pan. this is to allow the frosty gourd to thaw and the water to evaporate quickly. If covered, the thondekai ends up retaining a lot of water and becomes soggy.
- Cook on med-high to high power stirring occasionally, until you see browning/darkening (charring) of the gourd at the sides and all the water has evaporated.(If using fresh gourd, cook on med flame, stir and cook until again browning/charring is seen)(But of course do not burn).
- Now reduce the flame to low, add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and stir.
- Cover and cook for 1 minute. switch off.
Thondekai palya is ready to serve. Serve with roti/chapati/hot rice/rasam rice/dhall rice etc!