Tofu Avocado Slices With Pomegranate
When it comes to entertaining, a handy inclusion would be a quick yet healthy appetizer or canape. The Tofu Avocado Slices provide exactly that. A touch of protein, a bit of healthy fat, bundled together with a crunch, speckled with a splash of color and a hint of spice; to get everyone’s palate going yet, retaining the suspense of what’s to come.
Really simple to put together, an eye-catching appetizer or could even be a snack. This is my second offering towards our BLOG HOP, the theme being appetizers.
Add your own choice of base or perhaps an added topping and make it your own. Just have a go!
crispy crackers/cracker bread / Cream Crackers /rice crackers for the base – 4 (or as many as needed – 1 per slice) I used oats and pumpkin seed crisp bread and cream crackers. Choose one which suits your taste.
tofu slices – 1 per piece ( I used 4)
ripe avocado – cut open and the flesh sliced
mint coriander chutney/green chutney – 1/4 cup or as needed
pomegranate – 4 tbsp of fruit/seed
red chili powder/cayenne pepper/chili flakes – 1/8 tsp per slice (or as per taste)
lemon juice – few tsp to coat the avocado slices; more to drizzle over the appetizers
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
olive oil – 2-3 tsp for pan frying the tofu slices
- firstly, dab the tofu with an absorbent paper towel a few times to make it dry.
- cut out 1/2 cm thick rectangular slices of the tofu. if your cracker base happens to be circular or square, cut square slices.
- cut slices of the avocado, place them in a bowl. drizzle some lemon juice to avoid oxidation.
- get the seeds/fruit of the pomegranate out and ready.
- heat the olive oil in a pan. place the tofu slices carefully and pan fry them until they turn slightly brown.
- flip the slices, again brown them on the other sides. handle the slices gently especially if using silken tofu. use a broad flat spatula with perforations to lift the slice and flip and to transfer.
- once browned, transfer to an absorbent paper towel.
- to assemble, place the cracker on the plate.
- next place the tofu slice.
- drizzle over the mint coriander chutney in diagonal streaks across the slice to cover.
- now place the avocado slice.
- sprinkle cayenne/red chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- top the slice with pomegranate.
- drizzle some lemon juice.
- some freshly chopped coriander/mint leaves can also be added as topping.
- serve with lemon wedges and mint coriander chutney.
Choose the cracker base as per taste. This makes a huge difference to the result.
Alternatives to tofu being Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese); to avocado- mango slices (raw green mango or even sweet mango)/ pineapple pieces.
In addition, chat masala sprinkling can be added if preferred.
Stay in touch for more
do check out recipes from other awesome bloggers as below.