Veg Quesadilla is a delicious quick recipe, can be used as quick lunch/Lunch box recipe or even as tea-time snack. When I found this recipe I couldn’t believe how easy it was! This recipe is my way of preparing the same. I prepared this for my daughter’s packed lunch, on the first day of her school trip…
Tortillas – 2 large (corn or wheat, even tortillas WITH HERBS can be used; very flavorsome)
Butter or Cholesterol lowering spread (Flora or any healthy alernative to butter) – 4 tsp
For the filling:
Olive Oil – 1 tsp, Green, Red, Yellow Peppers – chopped (2 Tbsp each), Sweet corn ( frozen-thawed or fresh) – 2 tbsp, Cabbage finely chopped – 2 tbsp
Garlic Powder/Garlic Flakes – 1/4 tsp (optional), Italian seasoning mix (Mixuture of herbs, red chilli flakes) – 1/2 tsp ( easily available in super markets) you might wonder, Italian seasoning in Mexican dish??! ….just try it, it works!
Salt to taste
Green chilli – 1 chopped (optional)
Low fat shredded cheddar cheese – 4 tbsp
- First prepare the filling. For this, heat olive oil in a pan, add the chopped peppers, cabbage,sweet corn and saute.
- Add salt, green chilli, garlic powder, Italian seasoning mix and stir. Stir and cook further for a minute or two until the peppers a slightly softened. No need to cook them all the way through.
- Transfer to another bowl and allow to cool. Filling is ready. This can be prepared beforehand, say previous night and stored in the
fridge; if planning this for lunch box next day.
To prepare quesadillas:
- Heat a wide skillet ( such as used for rotis/dosas). Spread the butter or Flora spread on one side of the first tortilla, place that side down onto the skillet. Place the filling on it covering only one half of the tortilla surface.
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar on top. Now fold over to make a semicircular shape. Press gently and cook until the underside turns golden brown. Flip it over gently and cook until that side is golden brown.
- Remove onto a plate. Cut in the middle and serve as trianglular quesadillas. Repeat the same with the other tortilla.
- Serve with dip of your choice(optional; since it tastes heavenly as is). Can be a quick fix lunch/ lunch box menu/ snack