A tangy, cool, refreshing classic summer drink with a berry twist, Virgin Berry Pina Colada.
Blueberries are one of the superstars of nutritionally beneficial fruits that we are aware of today. Packed with phytonutrients, they have significant anti oxidant properties, improving memory as also slowing down cognitive decline(age related memory loss); helpful in maintenance of healthy levels of blood sugar in people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes; maintenance of blood pressure in those with high blood pressure. Prevention of cancer and maintenance of eye health which are being studied. They also provide a good quantity of fiber (4 grams per cup), copper, Vitamin C, K and Manganese.
With the multiple health benefits that we note wrt fruits in general, it is recommended to ensure atleast 3 portions of fruit a day (1 cup each portion); Go for fruits that are locally available and fresh. Berries are widely available locally here.
With berries in particular, inclusion at least 3 to 4 times a week would not be a mistake!
The berries and the pineapple in the drink will count towards your fruit intake pleasurably so. I like to keep some of the berries intact in the drink and do not like to blend the concoction to a complete mush. That provides a textural difference when sipped. However, you may wish to blend it fully in which case the color of the Virgin Berry Pina Colada will be intensified.
Method For Virgin Berry Pina Colada:
- 2½ cups chopped pineapple
- 2 cups ice cubes
- ½ cup coconut milk (the thick coconut milk if extracted fresh)
- 4 tablespoons blue berries (approximately 18 berries)
- Add the chopped pineapple, coconut milk, blue berries and ice cubes to the blender and blend until everything is fully combined.
- I like to keep a few berries whole for the texture. (if we crush them fully, the drink might end up having a texture close to that of a smoothie. If a few are kept whole, the few whole berries can be enjoyed whole while sipping for an added textural deliciousness:))
- Serve chilled with added ice cubes if needed.
Check out the classic Virgin Pina Colada recipe here.
Other Mockails from this blog hop –
Vani’s Spring Fever Mocktail
Poornima’s Snowy Plover Mocktail
Piyali’s Strawberry Italian Cream Soda
Jayashree’s Coconut Cucumber Cooler