One dish which can please grown-ups and kids alike is Pasta! There is something heart-warming about the texture pasta brings to the meal. When slithered in an enjoyable sauce the joy is complete, more so if it happens to be a healthier one.
This Whole Wheat Spaghetti With Avocado Basil Pesto being a single pot meal, can be a fulfilling, healthy addition to your weekday menu as also a lunch box meal.
Pesto, as you might be aware, requires no cooking. This particular recipe comes packed with nutrients. The most nutritious variety of avocado named ‘Hess’ is the one used here. Oh yes, there are 4 varieties of avocado. The pear shaped one with the dark, knobbly skin is ‘Hess’.
Did you know Avocado contains more potassium as compared to banana, Also the main component of this fruit(yes, it’s a fruit but used as a vegetable) is the ‘good fat’ in the form of Oleic acid which is also found in olive oil, responsible for its beneficial effects. On the other hand, basil, the fragrant herb used here may reduce blood glucose levels, increase insulin and therefore may be beneficial in people with diabetes. Walnuts have a particular kind of Vitamin E beneficial in protective cardiovascular health. All of these make the dish very nutritious and healthy.
I have not used any form of cheese in the recipe. However, if preferred you can add some while preparing the pesto or serve garnished with shredded cheese. The avocado makes it creamy; and basil makes it fragrant and tasty. This dish as a whole can be fulfilling healthy weeknight meal.
- 225 grams of Organic Whole Wheat Spaghetti (roughly 75 grams per person)
- 2 cups of basil leaves
- ½ a cup of avocado pulp
- ¼ cup of roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- salt to taste
- First cook the spaghetti in slightly salted boiling water until the al-dente texture. Drain and retain the water in which the spaghetti is cooked in a separate bowl. Also do not drain the spaghetti completely.
- Using a mixer/grinder or food processor, prepare the pesto by blitzing together basil, avocado, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil to form a paste. Use a small amount of the pasta water if necessary and make a paste.
- Now, in a wide container, mix in the pesto with the cooked spaghetti adding salt to taste.
- Serve hot with a sprig of basil for garnish and a drizzle of olive oil.
While preparing the pesto, you can reduce the quantity of olive oil used and use pasta water with small amount of olive oil.