Vegan Beetroot Strawberry Coconut Brownie Bites
True to its name, these bites having not simply yumminess in every bite, they also fill you in with ‘healthy’ ingredients. Not a drop of oil or butter used, nor milk in any form.
With every bite, you will taste the tangy sweetness of strawberries with the predominant flavor of coconut, almonds and the texture offered by pistachios, accentuated by the mild sweetness of maple syrup. The brownies bites in themselves, have a texture of a cross between a ‘burfi’ (Indian fudge) and a truffle, with a crusty top.
As it was baking, a heavenly aroma enveloped the kitchen. My inspiration towards this creation stems from Fragrant Vanilla Cake ‘s recipe found on Yummly.co.uk.
I have kept it simple with just two layers, making it easier and, therefore, quicker. Again this is an attempt to include Heart Healthy ingredients to cheer up and gear up loved ones towards a healthy Heart, this Valentine’s Day!
oats – 1 cup (I used quick cooking oats, you can use oat flour or additional almonds instead)
ground almonds – 3/4 cup
desiccated coconut – 1 cup
sea salt – 1/8 tsp
pure vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
medjool dates – 6 pitted
maple syrup – 1 & 1/2 tbsp (or more as per taste)
strawberrines – chopped roughly – 1 cup
beetroot shredded – 1/2 cup
cocoa powder – 1 – 2 tbsp (upto 1/4 cup)
pistachio nuts – 1/4 cup (or more)
- oats - 1 cup (I used quick cooking oats, you can use oat flour or additional almonds instead)
- ground almonds - ¾ cup
- desiccated coconut - 1 cup
- sea salt - ⅛ tsp
- pure vanilla extract - ½ tsp
- medjool dates - 6 pitted
- maple syrup - 1 & ½ tbsp (or more as per taste)
- strawberries - chopped roughly - 1 cup
- beetroot shredded - ½ cup
- cocoa powder - 1 - 2 tbsp (upto ¼ cup)
- pistachio nuts - ¼ cup (or more)
- in a food processor or mixer grinder, add the oats and powder it.
- then, add in ground almonds, desiccated coconut, salt and run the processor to make a uniform flour. tip this over into a plate.
- in the same food processor or mixer/grinder, add chopped strawberries, shredded beetroot, dates, vanilla extract and process until smooth.
- in a bowl, mix in the ground flour adding small amounts at a time into the strawberry, beetroot blend.
- into the same mixer jar, add back half the quantity of the mix, add in cocoa powder, pistachios.
- pulse the mixer until blended well. in the process the pistachios will break down into smaller bits. otherwise, you can add roughly chopped nuts directly into the mixture.
- in the non-stick heart shaped tart tins, first spoon in some of the darker mixture first. spread this out using the back of a spoon. dip the spoon in some hot water to aid the process if it gets too sticky.
- then, spoon over the pink mixture, spread again using the back of a spoon.
- sprinkle almond flakes.
- baked two brownies in tart cases and the rest I spread it out on a lined baking tray. made a rough rectangle. then spread the pink layer over it to cover it and baked.
- bake these in the at 130 deg C for 50 - 60 minutes or until the surface firms up, yet with a residual slight softness in the middle.
- allow to cool completely. then, pass a dinner knife along the edge of the baked brownie to release it from the tin.
- with the brownies baked in the tray, once it is completely cool, using a knife, cut into 9 equal pieces, running the knife all the way down to the tray. if it happens to have uneven edges, cut thin portion of uneven edges out to create a linear edge all round.
- serve fresh and enjoy.
once can also add honey or demerara sugar instead.
add roughly chopped nuts of your choice in the base mixture for a nice added texture.
as always keep an eye on the bake.
if you want the brownies to have a gooey middle, make the mixture slightly thinner, take it out as soon as the top looks less shiny.
baked goods always taste best when fresh.
I would love it if you share this post
Never Miss another recipe. SUBSCRIBE –