A quick and simple homemade instant pickle using left-over orange peel with an enjoyable flavor combination of sweetness, sourness, spice and salt – Instant Orange Peel Pickle.
Oranges being in season now, I don’t fail to buy them on every one of my visits to the super market. Using them in many ways, from simply sharing slices of the fruit with the family, to juicing them for a fresh orange juice drink or in recipes such as the orange cranberry cake, is an everyday practice.
Using multiple fruits and veggies being a habit every single day for us, my food bin is nearly is always full. That gets me thinking often as to different means to use the many different usable peels as possible. It was one such evening of contemplation whilst staring at the beautiful orange peels, this Instant Orange Peel Pickle was born 🙂 I simply couldn’t bear to waste them.
Oranges are an excellent source of Vitamin C, which is an immunity booster and fiber. Beneficial in prevention of heart disease, lowering cholesterol and inflammation as also in preventing lung ailments such as bronchitis, asthma.
If you happen to have un-waxed organic oranges, then more the reason not to throw the peels away. A quick chop, an everyday pressure cooker cooking process to soften the peels, followed by a couple of simple roasted ground spices, heat and salt results in a nutritious and tasty healthy homemade accompaniment 🙂 You may even call this a thokku (a south Indian relish) along the likes of carrot thokku and tomato thokku I’ve shared earlier.
I will be sharing this for our blog-hop with the theme being pickles.
- 1½ cups of Chopped Orange Peel
- 1 pinch of Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Fenugreek/Methi Seeds
- 2 teaspoon Oil
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Chop the orange peel (I had about 1 & ½ cup)and pressure cook adding turmeric powder and salt until it softens to a good extent.
- Then dry roast 1 tsp mustard seeds, ½ teaspoon methi seeds, powder them once cool.
- In a pan, heat some oil, add mustard seeds and allow to crackle, add red chili powder, the cooked orange peel, the roast ground powder, salt (small amount since already added)
- Mix and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Serve as an accompaniment to a meal.
Stepwise Pictorial For Instant Orange Peel Pickle Recipe:
Chop the orange peel (I had about 1 & 1/2 cup)and pressure cook adding turmeric powder and salt until it softens to a good extent.
Then dry roast 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon methi seeds, powder them once cool.
In a pan, heat some oil, add mustard seeds and allow to crackle, add red chili powder, the cooked orange peel, the roast ground powder, salt (small amount since already added).
Mix and cook for a couple of minutes. Serve as an accompaniment to a meal.
other pickles this blog hop –
Swati’s Green Chili Pickle
Jayashree’s Instant Mango Pickle
Poornima’s Gooseberry Pickle (Nellikai)
Shobana’s Instant Cut Mango Pickle
Parvathy’s Cauliflower Carrot Turnip Pickle