Ragi Brownie Bites :
A Very Merry Christmas to you all and a Jolly Good New Year!
As delicious as any other brownie, this recipe of mine will keep you coming back to your lovely air-tight container, in which they are cozying. Giving you no chance to question or consider asking me as to how many days this can be stored – share it with your loved ones and enjoy the holiday season!
These brownies are egg-free, gluten-free and vegan!
The recipe makes 15 brownies of the size shown – they found their way eagerly into my daughter’s snack box….my H’s snack times…and MINE too – that too guilt-free. I can’t tell you how much of a joyful relief it was to be able to snack guilt-free 🙂
As you can see, I simply had to bake brownies again! What resulted was a healthier thought and a healthier version..
Why would I want to change a lovely delicious brownie into a ‘ragi brownie’ you might wonder. Let me tell you, you wouldn’t notice the slightest of difference, but your body will definitely thank you in the long run 🙂
Ragi or finger millet is a powerhouse of calcium, iron, proteins and other minerals. Not only beneficial in building bone strength, treating anaemia, aiding in digestion, increasing lactation, but also reduces cholesterol and reverts skin aging!!
If you like cooking with finger millet you might wish to check out ragi rotti – flat-bread made with finger millet flour, green chili, chopped onion, coriander
I have given the measurements as cup and spoon measures to make it simpler for everyone to use.
ragi flour – 1/2 cup
demerara sugar – 1/4 cup
baking powder – 1/2 tsp
cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
pumpkin seeds – 1 tbsp
salt – 1/2 tsp
banana – 2 ripe ones – small to medium size
chunky peanut butter – 2 tbsp
vanilla extract – 1 tsp
oil – 1/4 cup (I used rice bran oil)
water – 1/4 cup
vegan chocolate chips for the topping
- ragi flour - ½ cup
- demarera sugar - ¼ cup
- baking powder - ½ tsp
- cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
- pumpkin seeds - 1 tbsp
- salt - ½ tsp
- banana - 2 ripe ones - small to medium size
- chunky peanut butter - 2 tbsp
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- oil - ¼ cup (I used rice bran oil)
- water - ¼ cup
- vegan chocolate chips for the topping
- pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C
- in a bowl, mix the finger millet flour with cocoa powder, salt, baking powder. then mix in the pumpkin seeds
- in another bowl, mash the bananas using a fork. then add vanilla extract, chunky peanut butter, oil and mix everything well using a spoon
- now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, add water and mix very well
- line a baking tray with baking sheet
- pour over the mixture. spread it evenly and give the tray a gentle tap
- now sprinkle over chocolate chips (or nuts)
- bake for 20 - 25 min or until the surface of the brownie is no longer shiny. do not allow it to burn. keep an eye the last minutes
- allow it to cool down completely and slice, serve!